First broadcast August 2011 BBC Radio 4
Producer Pam Fraser Solomon
Radio Choice: The Independent, Mail on Sunday, Time Out
Radio 4 Pick of the Week
- Origins Kwame explores the beginnings of the Notting Hill Carnival and the difficult social conditions from which it emerged
- Innovation How a motorway flyover gave the Notting Hill Carnival a new direction.
- Carnival Clash The complex relationship between Carnival and the police.
- Enterprise The highs and lows of the Notting Hill Carnival as it moved into a new era of sponsorship and expansion in the 1980s.
- Legacy How the Notting Hill Carnival is positioning itself in a new era of tighter regulations and diverse stakeholders.
Photo of Kwame courtesy of Simon Marhold